This section of the practice is headed up by Carlos Gabarró, a partner at Altalex Carlos Gabarró. Carlos began specializing in international taxation in 1994 having held leading positions in firms both in Spain and in the United States.
The complexities involved in international transactions and the constant modifications to legislation in the different countries requires a team of professionals who are well versed in coordinating the tax implications in several different jurisdictions and who can call upon a vast network of contacts with whom they have cooperated effectively on a wide range of projects.
This area of specialty is focused on the provision of tax advice for private as well as corporate clients whose activities involve a significant international scope. This activity is complemented by the corporate law practice of the Firm, in order to coordinate and carry out project implementations
- We carry out ongoing and detailed monitoring of recommendations of several leading international bodies (especially the OECD and G20), of the EU legislative initiatives and of the impact of the jurisprudence of the EU Court of Justice in tax matters which might affect our clients.
- We provide consultancy in the form of appropriate and fitting interpretation of Spanish legislation concerning foreign transactions or investments, of non-resident taxation rules and of international treaties in order to avoid double taxation.
- We review international structures in order to mitigate tax risk, cases of double taxation and a reduction of the overall tax burden ensuring this is effectively aligned with the economic substance.
- Implementing and advising in reorganization processes involving holding companies for Spanish and foreign groups. It is important to highlight our wealth of experience in corporate restructuring procedures through Spanish holding companies which opt for the ETVE tax regime.
- We provide support in labor and tax related issues for companies and private clients in expatriation procedures for professional reasons, as well as in other cases where clients are considering a transfer of tax residence to Spain or from Spain to another country.
- We work diligently in the coordination and proper implementation of projects in which professionals from many countries are involved.
- Moreover, our compliance team assists our clients in the ensuring conformity with all their accounting, legal and tax obligations in Spain and to coordinate their compliance in other countries with the support from our extensive network of contacts.
ProjectsBrochure US foreign investors in Spain